sirpudding has stated that he is willing to volunteer his collaborative log, SCP-2673 Containment Maintenance Log, as an initial testbed to make sure that the changes discussed in this thread will work properly for the main site.
As such, I am proposing to do exactly that. The version of the code I plan to implement is currently implemented here on my personal sandbox.
The features present in this version of the code are:
- There is a template form that can be used to easily create new entries
- The list of entries on the main log page is sorted in order of posting
- Each entry on the main log page has its own rate module box attached to it.
- Entries whose ratings fall to -3 are filtered from the list (effectively killing it, since nobody would ever see it again unless they go looking).
- Each item in the main list has a hyperlink anchor so it will be easy to find
- The individual pages in each category redirect to the corresponding anchor on the main list. (Override this by appending /noredirect/true to the URL).
- new: The iframes that host the rate modules now don't have frameborders in FireFox.
I am currently implementing the proposal following this procedure:
- done: I have received explicit permission from sirpudding to go ahead with this change.
- done, handled by LurkD: Rename Get a moderator or admin to rename1 http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log to scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-old2
- done: Create page http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log based on the source of http://ajmansfield.wikidot.com/scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log and parent it to scp-2673.
- done: Create page http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-entry:_template based on the source of http://ajmansfield.wikidot.com/scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-entry:_template/norender/true
- done, handled by Silberescher: Get an admin to make the following changes to the site configuration.
- Disable navigation elements for category scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-entry. (screenshot) Note that this is a minor performance improvement for the rating module and not strictly required to proceed with later steps.
- Enable autonumbering for category scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-entry. (screenshot) This configuration change is required, as the new page button will not work unless auto-numbering is enabled.
- done: Once the site configuration change is complete, use the Create New Entry link on the scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log page to create entries corresponding to each entry in scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-old
- done: Examine the page history for scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-old to determine the author of each entry, and create a table that can be appended add it to http://www.scp-wiki.net/attribution-metadata listing the correct author of each page in the log. Also in this will be a line attributing the main scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log to sirpudding.
- done, link added: Initiate a deletion process for scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-old, with two differences to the standard procedure:
- The page's vote score will be disregarded
- The votes are for whether scp-2673-containment-maintenance-log-old has been adequately replaced rather than a judgment of whether it is worthy content to keep.
- The process of removing the original article will be left up to the sirpudding, but a link to the new version will be added noting that the old version has been superceded.
This project is, as far as I am aware, completed, but if there's anything else that needs doing I'll be glad to do it as soon as I'm made aware of it.